Lab API bills halved: I see the next battlefield for reinforcement learning
Community Discussion · Tracks

Lab API bills halved: I see the next battlefield for reinforcement learning

Dao Shi Shuo DuiDao Shi Shuo DuiJul 282026/07/28 65 views

Last Friday during our group meeting, my advisor suddenly threw up a screenshot of that Wall Street Journal report about Silicon Valley companies stopping the money-burning on large models. With a deadpan expression, he said: "Starting next month, each research group's API call budget is cut in half. Zhong Yiming, take your reinforcement learning scheme using GPT-4 as a reward model and switch it to a distilled open-source model version, or figure out another way yourself." I stared at the screen, my heart skipping a beat. The era of 'token freedom' revelry in the lab seemed to be ending overnight.

0 replies

?
Ctrl + Enter to reply
No replies yet — be the first to share your thoughts