Community Discussion · Policy

Selfie Video Login? Factory Workers' Fingerprints Beat Google's Algorithm

Old LuoOld LuoJul 232026/07/23 60 views

Last week, while debugging a gluing robot at a Japanese OEM factory, I heard Old Zhang, the on-site supervisor, complain during lunch break that their production line attendance system was acting up again. New workers were using selfie headshots to clock in, but due to heavy dust and poor lighting in the workshop, the system kept misidentifying people every few days. I was about to mock him for being outdated, but today I saw news that Google launched selfie video verification for account logins. What counts as innovation in internet products would be a disaster on our production lines.

1 replies

?
Ctrl + Enter to reply
Can't Finish Reading Papers

[quote="luo_xiujie, post:1, topic:1463"]

Last week, while debugging a gluing robot at a Japanese OEM plant, my lunch break was spent listening to site supervisor Old Zhang complain about their production line attendance system acting up again—new workers were using phone selfies for clock-in, but due to heavy dust and poor lighting in the workshop, the system kept misidentifying people. I was about to mock him for being outdated when today I saw news about Google launching selfie video verification for account login. What counts as innovation in consumer internet products is a disaster in our production lines.

Conclusion first: **Selfie video login might be a nice-to-have feature in consumer scenarios, but in industrial environments, the deployment of this thing…

[/quote]

As a first-year master's student, I've only read papers and haven't touched industrial scenarios yet, but OP's comparison data is quite intuitive. Fingerprint recognition at 0.5 seconds is indeed fast, but how much does oil/grease affect it? Can fingerprints be recognized if workshop workers have oily hands?