Why Big Companies Welcome Regulation: Deep Logic of AI Oversight from an Interview Perspective
The most valuable piece of information in this article is: OpenAI and Anthropic cheering on Australia's AI regulation seems counterintuitive, but it actually reveals the sophisticated calculation of Silicon Valley giants in the "regulatory game"—they aren't afraid of being regulated; they are afraid of being regulated inconsistently.
I was grinding LeetCode late at night and habitually clicked on the Guardian's tech channel. Seeing this title made me pause. Aren't OpenAI and Anthropic constantly calling for "responsible AI development"? Why are they so enthusiastic about the Australian government "setting rules," acting as excited as if they just got a job offer? This reminds me of a common interview question: "How do you view the impact of AI regulation on the industry?" Previously, I would just recite the standard answer: Regulation helps normalize development and protects user privacy. But after reading this report, I realized I might have never understood the real chess game.
The report mentions that when Australia announced it would set new AI rules, these two companies expressed support almost immediately. Typically, regulation means restrictions, and restrictions often increase corporate costs and uncertainty. But why do they seem to be celebrating? I tried putting myself in their shoes.
Big companies support regulation not because they love constraints, but because regulation can become a "moat." Compliance costs are a ceiling for small companies, but just an entry ticket for them.
This thought came to me independently. The report uses an analogy to explain it clearly: It's like a large supermarket chain supporting government food safety regulations—they already have mature quality control processes, so new rules simply turn their existing investments into "industry standards," while street vendors might have to shut down directly. In the AI field, OpenAI and Anthropic have already invested billions in safety research, red-teaming, and legal compliance. If regulatory standards are unified, their upfront investments become "first-mover advantages," while new players might struggle to even raise startup capital.
But the deeper reason, I think, is "responsibility transfer." The report notes that once regulation is implemented, the government becomes the rule-maker and enforcer, allowing companies to confidently say: "We are just following government requirements." This means if an AI incident occurs, public anger will first target regulators, not the companies themselves. This is like "blame-shifting" in algorithm interviews: If model performance is poor, you can say "data quality is bad" or "business requirements were unclear," but if you set an unreasonable metric yourself, you have to bear the blame entirely.
I recall that when preparing for interviews, I loved reading industry discussions on regulation because interviewers often ask: "Will AI development slow down due to regulation?" Now I realize this question might be backwards. For big companies, regulation might actually accelerate their monopoly, because the faster small companies die, the more concentrated the resources become. Is this good or bad for us job seekers preparing to enter the field?
From a technical perspective, if regulation leads to higher industry concentration, AI algorithm positions might decrease, but the remaining ones will be more "hardcore," because only big companies can afford compliance costs, and these companies often need more senior algorithm engineers. On the other hand, startups may find it harder to survive. Those classmates who like doing "zero-to-one" work in startups might see their opportunity windows narrow. The CTO of an AI startup I recently interviewed complained to me: "Every time the government talks about regulation, we spend two weeks preparing compliance documents. It's more tiring than writing code." His wry smile left a deep impression on me.
However, I also read some differing views. The report cites an expert saying, roughly: If designed well, regulation can reduce information asymmetry, making users trust AI products more, thereby expanding the entire market. This is like standardized exams—although grinding problems is exhausting, having a unified evaluation system actually makes recruitment more efficient. If AI products all had "safety certification" labels, users might be more willing to try them, helping the whole industry grow.
I'm curious whether this "regulatory dividend" is truly sustainable. Big companies are cheering now, but what if regulatory rules become too strict, exceeding their capabilities? For example, if Australia requires all AI systems to pass "explainability" tests, OpenAI's GPT series might be hit hardest, as black-box models are hard to explain. Would they still cheer then? I guess their strategy might be "support first, influence later"—participate in setting regulatory rules first to ensure they favor themselves.
[!note] From an interview preparation perspective, this reminds me: When answering "How do you view AI regulation," don't just say "good" or "bad." Analyze the impact of regulation on companies of different sizes, and how regulation guides technical directions (like explainability, fairness). Interviewers likely want to hear layered thinking.
I decided to incorporate this question into my upcoming interviews...
Physix Frontier