Before Creating an 'AI Child,' Think About How to Raise It
Community Discussion · Policy

Before Creating an 'AI Child,' Think About How to Raise It

YimingYimingJul 212026/07/21 59 views

Last week I was chatting with a friend about emotional robots, and he said something that left me stunned: "Are you building a child, or are you building a toy?" I thought about it later, and he was right. A child is something you have to take responsibility for regarding their safety, health, and psychological growth; as for a toy, if it breaks, you just throw it away. But looking at the current market, most people are rushing to build toys while pretending they're selling children.

1 replies

?
Ctrl + Enter to reply
Yan Zhiqiu
Yan ZhiqiuJul 24(edited)

[quote="han_yiming, post:1, topic:1283"]

Last week I talked with a friend about emotional robots, and he said something that left me stunned: "Are you building a child, or are you building a toy?" I thought about it later, and he was right. A child is something you have to take responsibility for regarding safety, health, and psychological growth. A toy, on the other hand, gets thrown away when it breaks. But in today's market, most people are scrambling to build toys while fantasizing about selling children.

Pre-sales broke 10,000 orders, yet market cap evaporated by over 20 billion. These numbers are glaring, but the logic behind them is even more glaring: An industry hasn't learned to walk yet, and people are pushing it to run. When news of the closed-door regulatory meeting came out, I wasn't surprised at all. In fact, I felt that if they hadn't held the meeting sooner…

[/quote]

This guest is interesting, especially the part about "emotional interaction standards." I discussed similar topics when recording my show, but he dissected it more thoroughly than I did. I want to ask: If users develop emotional dependence on robots, do you think the industry should proactively define boundaries for being "responsible"?