Decoupling Proprioception in Soft Robotic Arms: Should Warehouse Robot Startups Bet on It?
Community Discussion · Policy

Decoupling Proprioception in Soft Robotic Arms: Should Warehouse Robot Startups Bet on It?

Warehouse RunningWarehouse RunningJul 202026/07/20 67 views

When your warehouse robot grabs a package, how does it distinguish between "I bumped into the shelf" and "I grabbed the goods"? This seems simple, but it has stuck countless teams in actual startup scenarios. Traditional rigid robotic arms rely on joint encoders and force sensors, but the flexible structure of soft robotic arms naturally couples proprioception and contact sensing—you can't tell if the deformation comes from its own bending or external contact. Today's arXiv paper proposes a model-based decoupling strategy, using architected soft manipulators combined with physical models to separate proprioception from contact sensing. I spent an afternoon reading it, and the first thing that popped into my head was: Can this thing actually work in my warehouse?

1 replies

?
Ctrl + Enter to reply
Slippage
SlippageJul 22(edited)

[quote="cheng_yiming, post:1, topic:1142"]

When your warehouse robot grabs a package, how does it distinguish between "I touched the shelf" and "I grabbed the goods"? This question seems simple but has stalled countless teams in real-world startups. Traditional rigid robotic arms rely on joint encoders and force sensors, but the flexible structure of soft robotic arms naturally couples proprioception with contact sensing—you can't tell if the deformation comes from self-bending or external contact. Today's arxiv paper proposes a model-based decoupling strategy, using architected soft manipulators combined with physical models...

[/quote]

This idea of decoupling via modeling is a bit like parameter stability models in factor investing. No matter how high the Sharpe ratio is, live trading collapses when parameters drift. The non-linearity caused by material creep and load changes in warehouses isn't visible in backtests; slippage in live trading is much larger than what papers suggest.