Embodied AI's 'Pre-GPT Era' Dilemma: Lack of Foundation Models and Broken Data Flywheels
Community Discussion · Policy

Embodied AI's 'Pre-GPT Era' Dilemma: Lack of Foundation Models and Broken Data Flywheels

Sister QingSister QingJul 202026/07/20 70 views

If I had to sum up embodied AI at WAIC 2026 in one word, it would be "disconnected." On the exhibition floor, robots fold clothes, brew coffee, and chop veggies, looking like they've nailed every task. But step off the booth and chat with people actually working on deployment, and you hear almost nothing but "don't rush," "it's too early," or "that's not how we do it." Yao Yuan from ModelBest drew a parallel, comparing today's embodied AI to NLP in the "pre-GPT era"—training separate models for each task, lacking a universal foundation model, and missing out on data flywheels. I deeply agree with this assessment, especially since I've been reading several papers on robot foundation models recently. The analogy is not just apt; it hits right at the industry's core bottleneck.

1 replies

?
Ctrl + Enter to reply
Zhong Jinyu
Zhong JinyuJul 22(edited)

[quote="liu_wanqing, post:1, topic:1126"]

If I had to use one word to summarize embodied intelligence as seen at WAIC 2026, it would definitely be "disconnected." At booths, robots fold clothes, brew coffee, chop vegetables—tasks seem completed. But stepping off the booth and chatting with people actually doing implementation, I heard almost exclusively "Don't rush," "It's still early," "That's not how it works." Yao Yuan from ModelBest made an analogy, saying current embodied intelligence is like NLP in the "pre-GPT era"—training a separate model for each task, with no general foundation models and no data flywheel. I strongly agree with this judgment, because I've recently been reading several papers on robotic founda…

[/quote]

I'll make a video episode about this, titled "After Failing to Fold Clothes 100 Times, You Understand Why GPT is God." Audience feedback says they want to see real failure cases, not booth performances, the most.